Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weatherwax

Today I wanted to hike, so we decided to check out the Weatherwax Trail. It is a very controversial area of Ocean Shores. Originally bought by the city as an investment, but after a vote by the citizens, can't sell it to help the city's debt. Many of the residents don't want to lose the natural habitat. I decided that we should probably see what all the fuss is about. Also, since it was a late start, this was a very convenient place to hike. btw...J was working today, so he didn't get to play with us. One of our first shots had me sold...do we live in a rain forest or what! I love moss covered trees!


Someone donated benches along the way that suggest relaxing and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Do you see the kids in the tree? isn't it an interesting looking tree? I imagine it looks completely different with it's leaves. Maybe we will have to come back in the summer!

the trail parallels a powerline road.
Teaka came along. We wore her out.
and, back at the trailhead!
Unfortunately, it was a very short trail. I was expecting a few miles. But it was nice. Kaleb said if he lived in town he would run it regularly.
It was funny, that we brought day packs with snacks and drinks, and maybe walked a mile or a mile and a half. We definitely looked like tourists!
We decided we didn't get enough hiking in, so we went out to Damon Point and walked. I left the camera in the car and only took phone photos. If I figure out how to get them on the computer, I will post some of those.
We had a great time finding treasures. Elijah found a huge rope, that they drug back to the car. Kaleb wanted to haul back a crab pot he found, but gave up rather quickly! We found cool rocks, shells and Kas even brought back a starfish. Hopefully it will survive the pond. Starfish are not common sights here.
It was a good day!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

So beautiful! It's still so brown here - I love the green.