Sunday, August 2, 2009

Dinner talk

The other night J and I went out to eat at a local restaurant. We were sitting by the window and a couple pulls up. J informs me he ran into the guy at Ace the day before, and J'd help build his house years ago. They chatted for a bit and went on their ways. J said it was good seeing him....etc. Anyways, the guy, his wife, and another couple end up sitting straight across the room from us. After about 10-15 minutes, I hear J's name coming from their table. Of course, my ears perked up. We didn't know if the guy had seen us coming in cause we really didn't get a chance to say hi or anything and J was facing away from them....but the guy was not trying to be discreet at all. I told J they were talking about him and he said he'd heard. I couldn't hear everything but did hear....'he's at the fire dept now, and still has his construction company' actually a few times. This went on for a good 5-10 minutes. It was kindof funny sitting there knowing someone is talking about you...or your significant other. When we were getting ready to leave, J went over to say hi. He then recognized the other couple as past customers...he'd helped build their house as well. And the first thing they said...'we were just talking about you!' it was soo funny.
So, J is standing there chatting for a few minutes, and I hear the man sitting at the table behind J say, 'are you going to say hi to Jeremy?' I didn't recognize them, but J turns around and just the day before we'd been in the local grocery store while J was on duty, getting stuff for dinner. He saw a cute little boy with his dad and offered for them to come over and get a ride in the fire engine...the boy, his little brother and 2 dads in the party took him up on the offer...and here they were eating right beside us. They'd just gotten there. It was soo funny. I told J he must have felt a little like a celebrity. being talked about and recognized and stuff. He is a great guy and does a lot of good for our little community.
The only downside...I was so caught up in it all I forgot my leftovers...and they have great leftovers!

No comments: