Saturday, August 15, 2009

Beach Dance 2009

A few years ago, the youth program at church had to host a dance in Ocean Shores. For a few different reasons they decided to try a dance on the beach. We were excited about it, and it became a huge hit. The stake decided to make it an annual event. Each year more kids have come, and other stakes heard about it an came. The leaders decided to add a meal to the deal, and it has continued to grow. A few years ago they changed the location to Ocean City ( just down the beach from Ocean Shores) and it has just gotten better and better. We are usually responsible for the lights, and the fires. We brought a couple of ladders and big flood lights. they worked perfectly. gave off just enough light to see, but still have a dance affect.
Also the volleyball net has just been added the last few years. The first year we had one big bonfire, but have since gone to a few smaller ones. First the burn ban prevents a big fire and the smaller, more intimate ones just work better.
Every year it seems like more and more kids show up. I love it. I love seeing the youth interact. I love watching them dance...and finding out the latest dance moves (it really hasn't changed much). I love remembering how much fun we had... and seeing how much funner they are nowadays. I love that people don't wait for someone to ask...they just dance together. Sometimes you will see a couple of kids dancing while others are standing right beside them talking with them and not dancing. I love the casualness of that.
We have usually brought our kids along. They weren't in the way with the youth and it was fun for them. Our kids are still gone, but here are some dancing to the music.

The music people have a great setup. They keep all the important stuff in the car. the set up and take down were quick. I was impressed. the music was loud enough, and they even brought dance lights!
This is the first year they had a live band perform a few songs. It was awesome, but the wind was blowing enough to make the singers voice very muted. I loved it though! and hope that is a tradition that continues!


I think most everyone had a great time. Even though we had over 200 kids there, when everyone left there was hardly any litter left on the ground, which is amazing. I saw a few couples sneaking back in after it was over, from down the beach or in the dunes. I hope they were being good! ;)
Anyways, I know I am still young at heart cause I love this event. I live vicariously through all of the youth there. I see the shyer ones who are off by themselves...(that may have been me). I see the group of friends having the best time (that also may have been me). I see the kids who think they have the best dance moves ( maybe me again) and then those who are too scared to let it all out..(yep, been there). I wish they all knew how beautiful they actually are. and important. I hope they saw all the kids there and realized they are not alone in their values, and desires for good!
Kaleb wouldn't go. He is still in Bellingham and would have missed a week if we would have pushed him more, but I want him to see! I want him to know he isn't alone. The youth group here is very small....in that crowd was one young man from Ocean Shores. only one! Kaleb feels alone here sometimes. But in the big scheme of things he isn't. He is not interested in dancing. he doesn't see the fun in it. But, I hope he will catch the spirit of it so he can meet other lds kids. I also hoped he would bring his friends. oh well. maybe next year!
I am so glad some inspired leaders decided to throw a dance on the beach and we've been able to be a part of it these years. I wish we would have thought of it in our day! ;)








1 comment:

LexaLou said...

Are they having one this year? I have heard alot about this event but know nothing about it.