Monday, August 17, 2009

J's birthday ride

I finally got photos from J's camera to post his birthday ride. His birthday was on a tuesday this year. Right after we'd visited the boys in Bellingham and dropped Kas off. J does not like his birthday to be a big deal. And I like to celebrate birthdays....so, we finally settled on a birthday bike ride. We invited the 'Misfits' and had Mike, Cindy and Curt along for the ride. Cindy took the motorcycle class with me, and this was our first opportunity to ride together.
We settled on riding to Astoria....a little over 2 hour ride each way. We'd do a late lunch and head home. Perfect ride.
This trip happened to be in the middle of the west coast heat wave. We started out in all our riding gear, and by the time we hit Aberdeen, we stripped out of our protective clothes. I'd worn the lightest weight cotton pants I had, which meant I was very unprotected. I did feel guilty, especially when we passed other bikers all decked out in their gear, riding in the 100 degree heat! Fortunately we rode safe, and I don't have any road rash to show for my recklessness! ;)
Here we had to stop for construction. Did I mention it was hot? We are so not used to warm weather on the beach! We probably left 65 degrees....maybe 70.

This is my view much of the time. We stopped of the side of the road aways in to give a little buns relief. J decided to check out the dirt road. It was steep up and scary coming down! I volunteered to get off...but J made it fine. The joys of duel sport!

Have I mentioned I love the water! and mountains! This is across the water from Astoria.






The Astoria bridge.

Going across the bridge. This was my first ride across on the bike. It's long, steep, high, fun!

From the bridge into Astoria....
From here we decided to continue on another half hour to Seaside. I don't know why we didn't take any photos in Seaside. We ate at PigNPancake which is a family favorite. I had halibut and chips. It was good, but I think their specialty is breakfast. We rode up to the beach and then left. It was a quick trip. We rode back to Astoria and decided to check out the Astoria Column. It is a 125 ft high tower up above Astoria. The column has a mural plastered on all the sides. It is beautiful.

J and I took the opportunity to hike up to the top. J reminded me this was a little like the stairclimb, only about 6 stories...so we jogged up. My legs were killing me right away! But it was fun.

And the view was spectacular.


Can you see me panting? and that jog didn't help my sweating in the heat at all! oh well, it was worth it.

Malteze Misfits!We had a great time. Headed home after Astoria. We stopped in South Bend for a bit of ice cream, just to cool down a bit. It was a perfect ride. warm, great locations, good friends. We got home around 6 or 7 pm. The one problem with riding, is we are sitting the whole time. J insists there is work being done. But, not enough exercise. So we decided to take a bicycle ride that night. We took the beach and figured we would go as far as felt good. We ended up riding to Ocean City. and then taking the highway home. It was the perfect end to a wonderful day.

Have I mentioned I love hanging out with J? Happy birthday, hon! 29 again! :)

1 comment:

Jaycie said...

We climbed that tower, and even though I'd been "Curvin'" in the previous months, I was still panting...turns out I was just freaking out from claustrophobia. Me, neurotic? Who knew???