Tuesday, August 25, 2009

killin time

It's 3 am and J just left for a house fire. We don't get them very often...where the house is fully involved....sometimes we get rv's, or shops, or old manufactured homes, but rarely a house fire (maybe 1 or 2 a year). So, I am up, hoping to get a glimpse of progress on the radio.
A few years ago it was at the house of a friend of ours. They have a new beautiful house now, thanks to great insurance, and they were not home at the time...but it is 3 in the morning. I think everyone is out of this house. It appeared they were out by the time the call went out, but I don't know. It is three in the morning. They are not getting quick response from the mutual aide stations. It is 3 am....firemen have to wake up, get to their stations, get their gear and drive for awhile to get to Ocean Shores....
I just heard them request the chaplain.
I hope everyone is ok!
The problem with being a tender hearted wife of a firefighter is I get to hear of people's tragedies....the worst moments of their lives sometimes. J can put on the professional mode and get down to business, but I have a tendency to ache for their sorrows. And we hear so many.
Jeremy is on duty tomorrow. So, he will probably be fighting the fire most of the rest of this morning and then head straight to his shift....with maybe 4 hours sleep. But, he is used to it. I can't say that I totally am. I should be sleeping.
On to better news!
WE HAVE THE KIDS BACK HOME!
We went up to Bellingham on friday to pick them up. Our original plan was to take the long way around the penninsula on the bike and camp. It would be a beautiful ride, which we have been wanting to do. We had a little work emergency that cut our trip way down. so we ended up cruising up on friday and then loading up and heading home that night in the motorhome. It was quite an eventfully full day.
J got off work at 8 am, came home and we left between 9:30 and 10. By the time we hit Olympia, we decided to stop for lunch. One thing about riding, is you have to stop for lunch. You can't just drive through and eat on the way! ;) we also ran a few errands along the way. And hit traffic a few times. It ended up taking us a good 6+ hours to get there. We met the boys at Jessie's. Shayne came by a bit later and offered to take them out to the fair, and to our motorhome....Penny was using it while she worked the fair. We walked around a bit, saw Penny working, rode a few rides, where I was reminded how weak my stomach is in old age...well, actually after having kids. I am speaking quite liberal when i say we went on a few rides. I went on one, because I was forced. I couldn't appear too wimpy for my boys. They couldn't believe that it really wasn't fun! ;) ( I am sure it didn't help I was laughing and screaming the whole time)
We got the motorhome and went out to Dad's where we met up with Kas. The kids repacked the motorhome, J loaded up the bike, and I made dad some fudge and we headed back home. It was around 9-10 pm by this point. We went back down to Jessie's to get the boy's stuff and headed home. J and I took turns driving and sleeping. We got home around 3:30 am. Did a few things and went to bed. Morning was going to come too soon.
J made everyone breakfast, which was a nice treat...bagel sandwiches, where everything was fried in butter (even the ham). It was heavenly.
We worked. and then took the boat out for a little crabbing. We actually got quite a few crab, but most were much too small. The water was a little rough. the boys and I got soaked. Kas helped J navigate. It was fun. Another beautiful day. We all came home and pretty much crashed....except Knolen came over. Elijah couldn't wait to see him.
The kids kept going out and visiting the chickens. It was cute. They were too tired to ride on Saturday so did a bit on Sunday after church. We took a nap.
Monday we helped some friends move, and picked up a dog to babysit for a few weeks. Our friends have been longtimers at the beach, so it was bittersweet to see them go. They are off on an exciting mission, and She has been wanting to move probably since she moved here. She adamently proclaimed over and over that she would NEVER be back. She's hated the rain, and the clouds and the smallness of the church here, has faced major tragedies, and has always felt that a move closer to family and more sunshine was just what she needed. But her family was established here and her husband had a great job here. We can't help but be excited for her and hope that the move is really what she is expecting. :).
I just heard the fire is under control. I don't know if that means it is out. or what, but they are going to be there awhile still either way, getting all the hot spots, and securing the place. I am sure J will have some stories to tell tomorrow. He loves his job.
I am so happy having the kids home. They are awesome. It was funny to wake up from sunday nap and see the kitchen and living room a wreck. I'd gotten used to things being the same when I woke up! ;) I've made 2 batches of bread in 2 days. I asked the kids what they wanted their first dinner...Homemade bread! It was gone in a flash so I had to make more the next day. and I will probably have to make more tomorrow. Thank goodness for the quick bread recipe. I love it. We've also made cinnamon rolls and scones with some of the dough. Of course the kids have spent some time on the bikes. Kaleb is getting back into work and asked for a time card last night. He is hoping to start earning $$$$ I think. Elijah starts football tomorrow. funfun! In the grade school they play flag, and this will be full contact. I think he isn't too excited about getting super busy with another sport, but I think once he gets going he will enjoy it.
Hopefully soon, I will have some pictures and video of some of the tricks they learned. We heard many good comments about the boys' training, and hard work. Shayne said that one of Kaleb's instructor's commented on how Kaleb worked hard, but he didn't know if his heart was in it, cause he keeps his head down, and didn't seem excited about anything. Shayne told him to set up a fight. So he did. Kaleb and Elijah were the youngest in their classes, so Kaleb had to fight a kid that was a bit bigger than him and one who was a black belt, and had been training for years. Shayne said the fight was awesome. He said Kaleb held his own very well...and impressed his instructor. It was a great boost for Kaleb. I am not sure I would have liked to see this fight but I am glad for his success...and that he is doing something he loves. (why oh why does it have to be fighting???)
Well, I am going to try to get to sleep.
I just heard another fire alarm is going off...hopefully it is false! I need my sleep!

No comments: