Sunday, November 23, 2008

hymns

I forgot a little tender mercy that happened to me on my birthday. Remember I was in Bellingham for my birthday. It fell on a sunday, so we went to my old ward there. Well, the sacrament song happened to be my favorite sacrament hymn. Sometime during the hymn I realized the significance of the song being sung on my birthday. It is one that is not sung much....WITH HUMBLE HEART #171

With humble heart, I bow my head and think of thee, o Savior, Lord.
I take the water and the bread to show remembrance of thy word.

Help me remember, I implore, Thou gavest thy life on Calvary
That I might live forevermore, and grow dear Lord to be like Thee.

To be like Thee! I lift my eyes from earth below toward heav'n above,
That I may learn from vaulted skies how I my worthiness can prove.

As I walk daily here on earth, give me Thy Spirit as I seek
A change of heart, another birth, and grow, dear Lord to be like Thee.
text by Zara Sabin

I love the message. But, on my special day I realized it was a special gift for me. :)

Today during the sacrament I saw the hymn LEAN ON MY AMPLE ARM #120
I did not recognize it at all. but I appreciated the message.

Lean on my ample arm o thou depressed! And I will bid the storm cease in thy breast.
Whatever thy lot may be in life's complaining sea if thou wilt come to me, thou shalt have rest.

Lift up thy tearful eyes, sad heart, to me; I am the sacrifice offered for thee.
In Me thy pain shall cease, in Me is thy release, in Me thou shalt have peace eternally.

Isn't that beautiful and so true. lean on my ample arm........
We are blessed with beautiful hymns. I know I take them for granted because they have always been in my life. But, they really are a form of worship. I am not a great musician, and please don't judge me for this, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to motab...but I do love music, and think there is great power behind it.

so, which is your favorite hymn and why? I would love to know. hope your sabbath is great. the sun is shining here....so that is a bonus for us.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I have a few favourite hymns... but I think that one of my most favourites is: "How Firm a Foundation". Yeah... It's just so me. I love to just sing it out. :)

btw off topic, but you know what I'm referring to I hope, Flatliners TOTALLY freaked me out. :P

Wendy said...

One of my favorites has always been I Stand All Amazed. I think it says exactly the way I feel.

Verlee said...

isn't it awesome when we feel like the hymns just speak your language! or, you could have written that...if you could write. that is how I feel. thanks for sharing.

I have been thinking about flatliners alot and that I want to see it again. It is freaky! but I love the underlying message of asking for forgiveness even years down the road.