Friday, October 16, 2009

Opposites Attract

The other morning, very early in the morning, while I was taking Kaleb to seminary, I thought about how different J and I are in some ways...most specifically dealing with early morning. As I have mentioned before, this is our first year of seminary as parents. (for those who don't know what I am referring to, it is a religion class before school for high school age kids). Also, as I have most likely mentioned before, I am not a morning person. I like to sleep in, I like to take my time waking up. I like it quiet in the morning. I want to take Kaleb in, cause I know it is important, and I don't want to be the one with the bad attitude about Seminary..hehe..
We live about 15 minutes from the church. Seminary starts at 6:30.
J decided, since he is sweet to me, he would take Kaleb to seminary when he is not working. When he is on duty he works until 8 am, so then it is my turn to take Kaleb.
When J takes Kaleb, he thinks of it as an opportunity to go to work early. If he is going on duty, he just goes earlier than usual, and does stuff at the dept. He probably gets there a bit before everyone wakes up (if they were able to sleep). If he is working construction, he will find do paperwork, either at the dept or church, until it is light out and then he works...like at 7 am.
That means he is up earlier, getting everything ready for the day, so that when they go he is ready.
not me.
I set the alarm for about 5 minutes before we have to leave. I get up, use the restroom, put my shoes on, and go. I am still technically sleeping while I am driving. no radio, little talking...in fact sometimes Kaleb sleeps on the way (even though he was up earlier to get ready). sometimes, I think about how dangerous this is....and the fact that for a living, J has to jump up from a sound sleep regularly and save someone's life, let alone drive there! while I am driving, I realize this can be a good bonding time with my kid...if I wasn't soo cranky in the morning.
Sometimes I will stay up afterwards, but if I really want to I will come home, make sure Elijah is up and running...he leaves about 15 minutes after I get back, and climb back into bed. I can wait until 7:30 to wake up Kas if I want to hurry and almost be late! ;) which I do too much.
It is silly. maybe I will change my ways. We have alot of years of seminary ahead....but maybe Kaleb will drive the kids in a few years. can't wait until he gets his license.
Meanwhile, I am glad J and I are different, and I can learn from him...and hopefully he can learn from me. And, he can do the jobs I hate and I can do the ones he hates. I think that is what equally yoked means! ;)

No comments: