Monday, October 26, 2009

my birthday present

A few weeks ago, Jeremy told me he had an idea for my birthday, but wanted a second opinion and asked who he should consult. I told him probably one of my sisters.....
He talked a little more about it, said he'd done a lot of research and was pretty excited about it but just not sure. After we talked about it for awhile, I said, 'well, if it is a kindle, I don't want it.'

He stammered for a bit and said, why and how did you guess that and stuff.
We'd seen one a few months ago and J said it was a great gift idea for me. I love love love to read. I have to bring a book with me wherever I go, just in case I might have a chance to read...so the kindle seemed like a great idea for me. But, I thought I wouldn't want one, because it is not just reading I love, but BOOKS also. They are like my friends. I cherish them. I love having them all over my house. I want a big library of books some day. I want them to be around my kids, even when they think they hate to read. We are a house of books.
But.....
Jeremy said he'd done some research...led me to a computer and showed me all the features he thought I would appreciate. He convinced me I might be missing out on something, so...guess what I got for my birthday?
this beautiful little thing... with the pretty blue cover.
I think most people know what a kindle is, but I will explain anyway... btw....When the kindle is off, it displays these cool pictures of authors or whatnot.
As I mentioned, I love to read. I live out on the edge of the earth, so I don't get to book stores very much. I do hit the library, but I like to have books. With the kindle, I can order through it at the kindle store. It is already set up, so I just browse, and order. Within a few seconds my book is loaded on my kindle. The books are usually about $10 and under. And I can store about 1500 books on my kindle. I can also store them on my computer or something so I don't lose them if something happens to my kindle. That means my assessibility to books is going to be greatly increased and I have been given the go ahead to order whatever I want ;) . Did I mention he really scored some points with this gift.
He also ordered the night lite to go with it, since I like to read in the car and in bed. There is not back light on the kindle. I think to keep from eye fatigue. Very thoughtful I thought.


It is about the size of a bigger paperback, but very thin. easy to handle and put in even a small purse. Like I mentioned before, I like to bring reading material everywhere I go. So, this way I can bring up to 1500 books with me if I wanted to. ;).... (more points! )

When he ordered it, he asked me what books I wanted him to add ahead of time. I couldn't think of anything. I was already reading a few books, and had just gotten a handful, so....was feeling a bit overwelmed with it all. But, I did know I wanted the scriptures. So my kindle came with the scriptures, which is a beautiful thing.

Another bonus with the kindle, is being able to sample books before I buy. They will send a chapter or two so I can read it before I decide to buy. I got a few samples and then decided that my first purchase would be The Undaunted by Gerald Lund. I was concerned....to pay for this kindle book, because if I like it--which I am certain I will--I will want to add the book to my collection, so I didn't want to kindle it. I finally decided that if I do....I can wait a few years to buy the book when it is on a sale price, and I will still be able to read it now! Yea. I love that plan.
I don't know if you can read the other books on my list, but Jeremy got a few samples also. He was disappointed to not find textbooks, but still felt like with the kindle he might be more apt to read. I am loving my new toy. It is handy, convenient, practical....and new. I still love books, but this is going to make my life so much easier.
I am especially loving my man. I love a well thought out present, and this totally was. Jeremy doesn't really like holiday shopping (having to buy a present for an occasion) but he went above and beyond thinking of the perfect gift for me....one I didn't even know I wanted. I love it! :).
I'm a lucky lady!







4 comments:

FreeFamWorld said...

Nice! Have fun with that!!

Wendy said...

That is pretty cool. I would love to have that instead of a bookshelf with all the books I have bought. I think I will have to put that on my wishlist.

Verlee said...

ok, when you get it Wendy, I will take all your good books that you want to get rid of! ;) but I do need more bookshelves!

Rummfor5 said...

Ok that is an awesome gift. It's even pretty! Love the scriptures on there. What a sweet thing for him to do! :)
You deserve spoiling!