Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dr

I finally took Elijah to the dr yesterday. He has had sinus issues well, forever, but stuffiness, coughing, feeling miserable for over a month now. For the most part his problems seemed like allergies, but he has never had them like this, and we weren't certain if it was the flu or cold or both.
Our doctor quit his practice, so we had to switch to a new dr. J called around and texted me a message....a dr Pierce tomorrow at 1. I figured Dr Pierce must be new if he could get someone in the next day....oh well. we'll see how it goes!
I go pick Elijah up from school at about noon, and head up to the Dr.'s office. The whole drive Elijah is trying to convince me he doesn't need to see a dr. and that he is getting better. The men not liking dr. offices start young, I think. I was just cracking up on the inside.
When we get to the office, I find out the new doc's name is Jessica. What do you think of when you hear Jessica???? Not a doctor! I think of a young girl. So, I told Elijah his new doctor was probably young. We spent some time trying to guess what she was like.
When she came into the exam room, my suspicions were confirmed. She looked about 12. But, spent the remainder of the visit trying to convince me she was very experienced and capable. I liked her, and wouldn't mind having a young doc, so she didn't really need to, but it kept me cracking up the whole time.
Anyways, she seems pretty certain she knows what Elijah needs....
have you ever noticed the dark circles under his eyes? well, those are called allergy shiners. She said he has allergies. She also said, with some medical jargon mixed in, that his snot buildup is creating a vicious cycle of snot. snot begets snot when it gets out of control. All of the things she diagnosed seemed very familiar with our boy. I was very glad to get some answers and maybe some easy solutions to his misery.
He was given a sinus steroid (or a nasal spray) to use every day. Claritin. and some cremes he can use to get rid of the dry skin. Hopefully it will all give him relief and a start to a healthier life. I hate seeing him feeling miserable.
The other interesting thing our new doc Jessica did was give him a little lecture on good, clean living. I think since he was just in jr high, she knows the pressures of 'fitting in'. She said she's seen too many people permantly damaged by that kindof stuff. I appreciated her little lecture...and thought, if you only knew the lessons he gets at home about that stuff. :).
I think I am going to like her. Glad we got a good doc right off the bat. I have a tendency to be leary of doctors....
I guess Elijah comes by it honestly!

we will let you know how it goes......

No comments: