Monday, October 5, 2009

Interesting weekend

Conference weekend is always one of my favorites. I enjoy listening to every session I can, when it is being broadcast. I also enjoy listening at home, and am so grateful for the live feeds online now. What a tremendous blessing.
Jeremy doesn't have the same ferver I do with hunkering down and listening. He was home on Saturday, and was able to catch up on some chores, which made us both happy. I loved having everyone home, either listening with me or helping him. Life is so busy it seems like such a treat to have everyone home working on various projects, or playing.
Elijah and Knolen had a campout friday night. Knolen came over here afterwards, to 'watch' conference with us. He was in and out with Elijah, but at one time they were watching and Elijah fell asleep. He's been sick lately, and he said he didn't sleep much the night before, so I let him sleep. I asked Knolen if he wanted to sleep, he said yes, but he wanted to listen as long as he could. Right then the speaker was talking about the nature of God. It was such a sweet talk. I was glad Knolen was there, and trying to listen....and once again, so grateful Elijah's best friend cares about the things of the Spirit.
Jeremy took the boys to the Priesthood session which I think they enjoyed, as much as active boys who don't like dressing up and meetings can enjoy. Almost as soon as they got home a call went out. I'd turned down the radio, cause it was hampering what I was listening to, but Jeremy noticed something was up, and as soon as we turned the radio up, we realized someone had driven off the bridge....our bridge! http://www.northcoastnews.com/2009/10/04/more-on-fatal-accident/
We jumped in the car, and cruised over there. Jeremy ran down to help and ended up getting there right as some good samaritans were getting the person on shore. It was fascinating to watch Jeremy in action. He was first on scene and took control until the medics arrived.
I was able to help out a bit, and then they took off. The victim was a local , so people were coming up to the scene who knew him. It was heartwrenching. Many people witnessed the accident, because there is a campsite right there. These campers were the ones who jumped in (the one guy, in just his underwear) and rescued the guy out of the truck. It was amazing to see these vacationers rally around to do whatever to help.
About the time J left in the ambulance, the surf rescue team arrived to check the truck, and the river. I was able to help them abit, get dressed up and in the water. There was no boat ramp there, so the campers once again, rallied round and carried the seadoo over a ledge and down into the water. When other surf members arrived, they couldn't believe the seadoo was 'carried' into the water. Later one mentioned, 'if you need something done, ask a redneck!' ;) yea!!!
Being a part of the whole situation was fascinating for me....I was grateful to be able to do some to help, but wished I could have done more. It got me contemplating the idea of volunteering. I have been asked to volunteer before, but don't like blood, guts or gore. I don't want to drive the ambulance. and don't want to donate the amount of time that is really needed. but, being there, made me wish I knew more and could do more to help. It is quite an experience being a part (hopefully of good) at such crucial times in people's lives. being able to help when it is soo needed.
So, saturday night and sunday I had that thought running through my head. I have not had the opportunity to talk to Jeremy about it yet, and keep going back and forth with it. We will see. I know I will be led in the right direction. I have wanted to get back into school. Hopefully this experience will help me get closer to where I need to be.
I thought we were going to have Jeremy home on sunday but he had to work. (my schedule was messed up). We had a lazy day at home with conference. On saturday I give the kids the option to watch or listen, but encourage them more on sunday to pay attention. They were playing a little too much for me, so...I am going to have to come up with a better plan. I don't want to have to go watch at church, that will be more punishment for me....but that is what I threatened. ;) Something else to consider.
All in all, it was quite an eventful weekend. I loved most every talk....and look forward to studying them further. A few while listening, I thought will definitely get posted on my facebook. I am soo grateful for a living Prophet. We are so blessed to have that guidance in our lives. I was so grateful for the counsel specific for our time and troubles. I felt edified, chastised, and ready to do better and be better. I am especially grateful for my ancestors who found the truth and lived it, so I could have it in my life.

1 comment:

Cory Reese said...

Hello - great blog! I've loved reading it.

Your comment on the September 18th post about you in the background of the picture is hilarious. That made my eyes water.