Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sol Duc Hot Springs and my first RIDE!

Well, I got my motorcyle endorsement on wednesday. Thursday we'd planned a trip around the Olympic Penninsula. Jeremy and the kids were harrass...I mean encouraging me to take my own..I mean Kaleb's bike and have my FIRST bike trip. I wanted to but was very nervous. Even though I'd done quite a bit of riding in the Motorcycle class, I had done 0 --that means ZERO on the road, highway, whatever. and I am a worrier....so, the odds weren't good in my mind. We had to run into Ocean Shores before we left, so I decided to ride in there, and see how I felt. We would have to come back by the house to get to our destination anyways, so...it seemed the perfect plan. We went in. I felt pretty good. I was pleased how much easier the transition was between big parking lot to road. My biggest problem was driving fast...like highway speed. I am not really talking about fast. It is definitely a relative term here. because I was freaking out at 50 mph. I know! I felt like an old lady driver, but I couldn't help it.

I knew how pleased my family would be if I just 'went for it'! I'd actually gotten a lecture/pep talk from the kids when I took them to school about wimping out. so, I decided to go for it. I have to tell you, going straight and not turning towards our driveway was quite exillerating! I knew J was cheering me on in the back, and my kids would be proud. I didn't know how I would do, but figured it was worth a try!


Our first stop was about an hour down the road. I switched to warmer gloves. Even though the weather was nice, it gets cold on the bike. I have no windshield, or hand screens, so it is a constant 45-50 mph wind! But I was having fun! J rode behind, so I could set the pace, and he was VERY patient. I knew he would have liked to have gone faster but he wasn't going to complain. Just encourage! I was VERY grateful for that!

We cruised by Quinault, but stopped at Kalaloch to refuel my tank and take a potty break, and stretch a little. It was going well. I was having fun. I think we were about halfway there......
We went through forks, and had to stop for a photo. First time for me. Not like the movie at all! haha. I know it wasn't filmed there! but I have to admit, I was disappointed!

We stopped at a cafe for hotchocolate and fried mushrooms....little snack and a chance to warm up! At this point J decided he'd rather have a cabin at our final destination, so he is making reservations! he's a cutie!

You can't imagine how happy I was to see this sign! Almost there! Beautiful ride. When we arrived at the Lodge, J showed me our stats. It was a bit funny. Don't know if you can read it, but......we traveled 138.6 miles in 4 hours and 27 minutes. 3.9 hours traveling and 1.18 hours resting! a bit pathetic, but nice and leisurely! It says his max speed was 71 mph. I am certain that was one of the times he passed me! I know I never even went close to that speed!




we finally made it to the lodge! I couldn't have been happier. Even though the ride was good, it was enough for the first day. Even though my expectations were high, I was still pleasantly surprised by all of it. This was the first week of the season the lodge was open, so everything was clean, beautiful, fresh. It was more upper class than I was expecting. Even though we'd packed to camp, J decided to splurge and get us a cabin. I didn't complain one bit! They were cute little things. This isn't our cabin, but similar.

When we opened the door, once again, I was impressed by how cute they were. All to ourselves! Love it. By the time he called they only had 2 bed cabins, which was really fine, cause we could lay our gear out on the other bed.





There was also a good size bathroom, and a little sitting room. Cozy and roomy at the same time. We definitely will be back! After unpacking a bit, we quickly slipped into our suits, and went for a soak. The perfect thing at the end of a ride.


Afterwards we ate. We didn't even go back to the cabin and make ourselves more presentable. wet hair and all. We were both tired, and wanted to eat and hit the sack.


The restaurant had some fancy meals, but also diner style. We went that route, with fish and chips,

and a hamburger. J was good and passed on his fries for a wonderful looking salad.


Even though we were stuffed, we ordered dessert. The people behind us ordered a marionberry crisp. After we saw and smelled it, we were done for! It was heavenly. We did share though!
Sometime during the night we overheard a waiter telling other patrons he was from Minnesota. It got us wondering,....I admit I am nosy. So, we asked our waitress where she was from....Massachussetts.... Everyone was from somewhere far away. They take these seasonal jobs working at resorts all over the country. HOW COOL IS THAT! I know I would have loved doing something like that if I'd had a friend with me. My shyness might have hindered that decision, but anyways, it sounded soo cool. Meeting new people. working at a resort out in the middle of nowhere. Now that could be an awesome book theme!



Anyways, we had such a great time. We went to bed early. It was funny going back to the room and realizing no tv! J didn't know what he would do, but he was asleep pretty quickly! I had a good book,.....it was awesome!




The next morning we ate breakfast and then had a quick soak in the pools. With the cabin we had buffet breakfast at the lodge, which consisted of hashbrowns, blitzes (heavenly), juice, bacon. I was hoping for eggs, but once again it was very nice.



The pools consist of three smaller ones, (that aren't so small) of different consistancies of heat, and then a large cool pool. I only sat in two of the tubs....the two hottest ones I think. It was VERY nice!




J adjusted my clutch a bit, so I could have more of a friction zone! (thanks motorcyle class that I even know what the friction zone is!) It helped with starting out and stuff.
Here we are ready to go. Check out time was 11:00 which was perfect.

Yep, hot spring!This is the entry way into the lodge. Isn't it pretty. Checkout and buying souveniers for the kids.

Ready to go.....

I had J show me the campground, and he found snow. FUN! but we didn't stay and play....
We found a bunch of trail heads. I am making plans. Our family loves to hike. We could backpack in, and soak in the tubs when we came out. What a great trip! I love rain forests. see all the moss....Our original plan was to go around the Olympic Penninsula, but I did not feel ready going though larger towns, and bigger highways, so we decided to backtrack. I have always wanted to see Neah Bay, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. I didn't realize it was so far off the beaten track, but it made a perfect day trip.


We took the exit and after a few miles went through Clallam Bay. It was a cute little town. Beautiful scenery! I don't know if you can see this, but the end of the bridge is in the air. I am not sure if the sand erroded away from the bridge or if the bridge broke. anyways, it's an interesting sight. The land mass over there is Vancouver Island. and do you see the cruise ship? luckies!!!! well, I think it is a cruise ship. maybe it is the ferry that goes to Alaska. I don't know. It looks huge!

This was the view beyond the bridge to nowhere. Not sure exactly what it was but would like to spend more time over there. All of it is gorgeous!

This is the first time we have had reception since Forks, so J is checking in on K, who stayed home by himself all night for the first time, (scary for me) but of course he was fine. He had whatever was going around, so stayed home from school.
And he also had to deal with a few TBC customers and stuff. No rest for the self employed!

So, after Clallam Bay, we rode along the coast. I think they must have some bicycle race there, because there were marks on the road for every 10th of a mile I think. I loved that! The road was also very twisty and windy. It was fun to ride, beautiful and not a lot of traffic. I was so glad we took this route.

We went out to Cape Flattery which is the northwesternmost part of the continental US. but didn't take the 1/2 mile hike in, because we didn't stop for a recreation pass in the town previous. (can't remember which town that was) I checked the map, but couldn't read it....anyways. Next time we will get one. J found this road less traveled and decided we should take it.
I made it up a bit, but had to turn around. It quickly became very rough. I wasn't quite ready for that kind of riding. J went up a little further to turn around, came back and got me...so I could see what he found...and he took me to this! Isn't that beautiful! Once again, not sure what it is called. but worth checking out further. A lighthouse on a small island!



More photos on that ride.



so beautiful!
We strapped J's camera to his bike. We've wanted to try it....and this was a perfect opportunity.

He saw an awful lot of this on our ride!

and this!
We notice I ride a little crooked! Not sure why. I don't feel like I am until I shift around a bit. I try to straighten up and end up just the same. Interesting.

Here we are. Home at last. I think we made it home around 7 pm. Long day. I was beat. the last hour or so was HARD. I had to drive faster than I am really comfortable. I was VERY fatigued from being alert all the time, and probably fighting the wind and all. BUT I was also VERY HAPPY! I am doing something I NEVER would have imagined for myself. Stepping outside of the box for me! enjoying it, and doing relatively well at it! never never imagined!

I am sure we will plan more trips. I look forward to getting a more comfortable bike. I know that will be further down the road. more important things first. But, something to look forward to. and a great hobby for J and I. I will still love riding 2 up with J, but now we have options!
Thanks hunny for a wonderful weekend!

No comments: