Sunday, May 3, 2009

Motorcycle Safety Class.....
that is what I did this whole weekend, while, Elijah hung out with his best friend's family (Knolen), and J took Kaleb to his first ever Youth Conference....(Kas went along too, since I was unavailable). They camped, and did a service project. I think there are photos....I will have to check.

Anyways, it was quite an eye opener for me...the class. I realized I did something quite out of the ordinary for me. I really never have imagined myself as a biker chick. I have not been in a classroom setting like that in years....where I had to take a test, and receive a grade for my abilities. I didn't really know what to expect, and surprised myself.

I had fun. parts of it were hard, but I didn't make a fool of myself. One thing about me, is I hate trying something new. I hate others seeing me flub up and looking a fool. I get a little scatterbrained when I have an audience. So, knowing that I would have to practice skills while others are around watching, or waiting for their turn is not appealing to me. J on the other hand relishes learning new things. He doesn't care how silly he looks, or how many times he has to try before he gets it right...and he has a tendency to be way better than average at everything he does. I tried to take some of that attitude with me when I went to the class.

Fortunately we had a small class...there were 5 students total. I think 12 is an average size. Also one of my friends took the class with me, so I wasn't going in to a room of total strangers. I'd practiced a bit with J coaching me, so that I wouldn't be totally starting from scratch, and I was amazed that even though J never took the class, and hasn't been riding for all that long, most of the techniques he taught me were right on! ...another example of him being better than average at all he does.....

So, when I was in school, I was the quiet one in the back. I rarely will speak out. I don't like being put on the spot, and unless I KNOW I have something pertinent to add, that is important, I won't share. My friend arrived before me, and I found out she's a front and center person. She was sitting in the very front, with a seat saved for me...so that is where I ended up. And, then I know I did most of the talking while we were discussing. A few times, I figured the guys in the back were probably wishing I would shut up so we could get on with things, but I just seemed to not be able to! So out of character for me...and I still don't know why or how.

When we went out on the riding range, it was pouring. We all got soaked. I figured that was probably good, cause if we ride here we will ride in the rain....even if we never intend on it. We learned how to stop safely, turn corners, U turns, turn on and off the bike, weave, swerve, etc. For the most part our instructors were nice, and very helpful. The bikes were small, and easy to manouver. When I took the skills test, I passed, but I don't know how well I did. I felt like I flubbed on everything...but did it all. I do know I got a 100% on the written test, which was awesome.

Anyways, it was a great experience, and one I would highly recommend. Now I wish we had a smaller bike, so I could get out there and keep practicing. I am still not sure if I want to get my own beemer and become a biker woman....but I am definitely interested in pursuing it.

I am especially grateful for opportunities to stretch myself and do something totally out of character. I hope I can take this experience and step out of my comfort zone even more. It is liberating!

Oh, also, I have the best family. When I came home from my final day, they all had a card and a cake for me! very sweet!

4 comments:

FreeFamWorld said...

Verlee ~ you're awesome!

caseyann said...

YOur my biker babe idol!

Verlee said...

ah thanks.

batch5 said...

Way to go! I am impressed.