Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Grandpa Ralph




Ralph Milton Warthen

Grandpa Ralph passed on 26 March 2008. He was almost 88 years old. For me it felt more like a joyous occasion than grief filled. He'd lived a good life, and made his peace with the world. He was tired, and ill. He'd been away from his wife...who I didn't have the pleasure of meeting, but have heard lots of wonderful things...for many years....He deserved to move on to better things. I imagine his reunion on the other side was a joyous occasion.

Here are a few photos of Grandpa. Jeremy brought him an Ocean Shores Firefighter ball cap, which he wore with pride!



Here he is with 'his ride' next to Jeremy's 'ride'! Grandpa would share his scooter with the kids when we came to visit. He would let them ride up and down the sidewalk. He had his scooter to take him to the park so he could pitch horseshoes, and go to the Hamburger Connection. Before that he had a golf cart he kept at Gayle's house. When we came to visit, he would take the kids in his golf cart to get ice cream cones. They always had a great time with him. Grandpa watching the kids ride. His funeral was real nice. Everyone who participated did a great job. The Grandkids sang, which was impressive. I think the majority are better than average musicians. The great grandkids also sang. cute group of kids. I wish I had a photo...but being in the chapel and all...didn't happen.



Of course Jeremy rode his bike to the cemetary. (with Kaleb)


I love this photo of Gayle and Randy.

Grandpa was a Marine. He was stationed out here at Pacific Beach. I have to say, when Barb mentioned that in the life sketch, it brought a tear to my eye. We settled near there. His choices greatly impacted our lives...( not just in that.....) I mentioned to Jeremy how much that touched me, and he rolled his eyes! HA! I am too sensitive! Anyways, his marine life warrented a military funeral! What an honor!


I loved the bugler. Do I have to join the military to have a bugler at my funeral? I want one. Doesn't he look awesome! (on a side note...Randy told us that he's gone to funerals at times to play taps! Isn't he cool?)
Flag over the casket. I wish I would have gotten a good photo of the casket. It was beautiful. It had scenes of a farmstead. in copper. Very beautiful. Grandpa picked it out.


You can see Connie, Gayle, Barb and Paul seated behind Grandpa. I don't know where Skip and Randy were. Do you recognize anyone back there?
Here he is playing taps.The flag being presented to the family. Oh look, I did have a photo of the casket. Isn't it beautiful? The three daughters, Connie, Gayle and Barbara, and most of their children. Isn't it funny....from three women....11 males and 5 female. (one of each are missing).the Dooleys.

Kas and a few cousins. I wish we would have taken more family photos. We talked about it but didn't.

On a side note...this is Shiloh....or Shiloh's tie. How do you like it? I thought it was cool...big and bold! tell me what you think. not just the tie, but the 'tie' or knot.

We had a great time, learned a bit more about Grandpa. We honor his life, his legacy, his example and his love. Until we meet again, Grandpa!

1 comment:

FreeFamWorld said...

We were so glad to know Ralph and to be able to attend the great celebration at the end of his life. I noticed a collective "WOW!" from the audience as the grandkids started their song. You're right that there is more than average talent in that group.
For the record, I don't think you're over-sensitive about being moved by the significance of Grandpa's time in PB....I feel the same amount of wonder about my mom's decision to move to Caldwell....where would we be if that hadn't happened??