Thursday, February 26, 2009

some of my favorite things about the road to HANA

"The famed Hana Highway twists and turns for 52 miles along the coast, negotiating some 600 curves and passing over 54 bridges." I don't think most people would consider it a 'highway'! It is very narrow and some places where it is just one lane. It is very green and beautiful. Pretty much a day event. The amazing thing, is people live all along the route. Hana is a small town, but there was a chapel there...probably bigger than the one in Ocean Shores...I can't imagine driving that road every day. But it is very beautiful.

When we were there, the waterfalls where flowing pretty heavily. Towards the end are the Seven Sacred Pools...which really aren't sacred, and I think maybe not even 7...or so I am told. But, anyways, there was so much water in them you could hardly see the distinct pools. Anyways, it made for beautiful waterfalls all along the route...these are just a few.



It also meant mud. I was determined to do some exploring and hiking around. so we got dirty!

I did wear the right shoes though...except amazingly, they did give me blisters! I think from the sand. Jeremy had a bit of a harder time negotiating the mud in his flip flops. I told him to bring his chacos! There were street vendors at a few of the bigger stops along the way. this guy made beautiful baskets out of banana leaves. I got one. That was one thing I really wanted from my last trip, but didn't get cause I thought I would have another opportunity.
aren't these beautiful. and inexpensive when you buy them here.

shell lei's. I loved them but didn't get any.

Jeremy paitently waiting for me while I shopped. He was an angel! And Tanner. He'd jumped int he car with us!
I loved the varieties of trees, and was amazed by the interesting root systems.



The bamboo forest was another amazing thing. Sorry I don't have a better photo of this. A friend told us about a hike at the seven sacred pools. It was about 2 miles in. There were a bunch of waterfalls in the end. We went through the bamboo forest on this hike and saw other waterfalls. It was beautiful and a good hike. Here we are close to the end.


This is one of the grossest photos of me...but because I love you I am sharing it with you. If you want to know what I will look like fat...here it is!This one is much better!


The Hana day was very fun. I love the drive. Last time we were on Maui, we took it twice! It is definitely a must see!
More later.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Beautiful!!! I hope I can go sometime. Thanks for sharing! :)