Sunday, July 19, 2009

rip John

A guy in our branch passed away last week. I think I heard when the call went out...for a natural, which means someone was found already gone (I think of natural causes but not sure about that). I hear those calls periodically and when I heard that one I thought, I know quite a few people in town, with work and school and church. Soon I will know someone, and then it will mean more than just a call.
I didn't know this man very well. He just recently started coming back to church. well, maybe for about a year or so. I don't know if he was getting reactivated, or moved back. I know he was familiar with some of the 'old timers' in the branch. He was a pretty quiet guy, not super involved with things. Didn't seem totally at home in the church. But he was there, and had been for awhile. He wore a ponytail. mid 50's or so....too young to be found dead. I know he was a grandpa to at least a beautiful baby boy. So, that means he was a father. He will be missed. I am just grateful he was in the right place, at the right time last sunday morning. I am grateful I know he has a much better new home than he had. He is in a good place. We never know when our time is up. I am certain last week he didn't expect it was going to be his last Sabbath. Or that he would be found, dead by some loved one later in the week.
I am amazed that I don't know more of the calls that go out. Sometimes, because people are 'regulars' I recognize the address or the illness or whatever. But, we live in a small town. When I hear suicide...it especially scares me. A rare few times I will recognize an address as a friend... and know I need to make a phone call.
I love that J's job is taking care of people at some of their worst moments. Sometimes, helping someone survive a bit longer, or being one of the last they will see in this earth. He has a calm about him that is incredible. He has a tender heart. I know he is the last person I will want to see when I go, or the first when I am there, depending on who goes first.
I hope this man met someone he loved and missed. RIP, John.

No comments: