Sunday, July 19, 2009

Last leg of our journey

I think I already mentioned we went back to Carrie and Lori's for the night, before heading home. Kas and I made cute, little necklaces with Lori....I dropped off Judd and Sherrie's wedding gift...and afghan I made.....
We picked up Cole, and then said our goodbyes!

Very bittersweet. We'd been on vacation for a few weeks already and I think we were all ready to get home, but I love hanging out with my family. I know living close together causes drama sometimes, but they are all so awesome, and have wonderful families, and I know I miss out on a lot....but we have chosen to live on the edge of the earth...so....back we go! ;)
After a few discussions at the firehall, J decided he wanted to check out Jennie Lake in the Teton park. So, we decided to take the scenic route home. Which means we would not be going through Caldwell on our way home. We would be going through country we had never seen, or only been through in the dark, and part of it was on the bun burner route...so we were game.

I decided I really like parts of Wyoming. I think I could live there. I really miss the mountains.
I usually read while we travel or sleep, but I was too enthralled with the beautiful scenery. and cute little towns we drove through.As I drove through various towns or valleys thinking "I could live here" I figured this must be how the tourists who come into Ocean Shores on the rare sunshiney, warm day say the same thing, and then want to move after their first rain infested winter! or summer for that matter! So, I decided I would just appreciate the scenery and feel happy for the people living there. and know if I ever did need to move to Wyoming, I might be able to find a place I would love. ;)
Our first night destination:We discovered that Wyomingites really like their antlers. There were quite a few times we were chasing storms. We got soo many shots of incredible cloud arrangements, and rain falling. We saw lots of lightening, and heard thunder. It was thrilling. I guess we are all adventurers, cause we loved riding into the storms. And seeing stuff like this:
And this:

Don't you just want to drive into that and maybe camp there?!
Here's another amazing shot! And another!

The kids were cozy in the motorhome.
As mentioned earlier, we wanted to camp at Jennie Lake the first night. When we arrived, we found out the site was full...later we realized it was tent camping only there anyways, so that wouldn't have worked. We had to continue on another 20 miles further to find an available site. We didn't even get to see Jennie Lake. Oh well. What we were seeing was quite incredible.
We made it to Coulter Bay campground right at dark. While we were getting ready for bed, Kaleb and I decided to give Teaka a walk around the camp. On the second loop, Elijah joined us and found this not so little critter.....
The next morning we went to the visitors center, checked out the museum there, which was very nice, and took a hike over to some smaller lakes. It was very nice.

I'd used my REI rebate to get a day pack the day before, so was trying it out on the hike. (Elijah also tried it out). Our family+ Cole. Loving the view!
Taking a little rest. We thought those were swans in the water, but after further inspection, realized they were pelicans. they are beautiful though!



Did I mention, I LOVE the mountains?
We went through Yellowstone...only stopping at the a gift shop for a shot glass...and at these bears. A few years ago, we were in Yellowstone and pretty much saw all the animals, except the bears. well, here we saw 2 bears together. We stopped and watched them play for quite awhile. It was quite exciting for us. We saw most everything this time except the moose!

Drive by shot....

Leaving Yellowstone.
Quick trip through but still fun. This is about the time we are realizing that we way underestimated our time. It is probably about 6pm and we still have much to far to drive to get home. We decide to keep going and end up sleeping in a rest stop for the night instead of finding a camp spot. We continued to enjoy the scenery through Montana. By the next morning we were all anxious to get home. J continued to trailer his bike, which was a huge act of love for me...he knows I don't love driving the motorhome, and I know how much he loves to ride his bike..So he won a lot of points on this drive! I am a lucky lady!
I mostly took this shot to show J's scruffiness. He really hates to shave but has to keep a clean beard while he is on duty...so his mask will seal...so he takes advantage of not shaving while he is on vacation!


Finally after almost 3 weeks on the road, we are home! We had a wonderful trip. The kids were so helpful and it was great seeing soo many people. Still many we didn't have time to see, but hopefully we will soon.
I am so grateful for opportunities like this. We are very blessed, and live in a beautiful country. I am so glad our kids enjoy nature as much as we do. and that we have wonderful family and friends we can call ours!
Next....4th of JULY






























3 comments:

Rummfor5 said...

what an awesome vacation! I love the photos. I am missing the mountains, too. So much.
I think that you have such a wonderful family, and I adore all of the Simpsons. You are blessed to be in such a great family!

Anonymous said...

Hey! You should have told me you were out this way! We could have met up for lunch or something. Sounds like you had a great time.

Shan

Connie said...

You did such a great job blogging about our family reunion, Verlee - thanks. You have the most awesome family. I sure love you guys.
Aunt Connie