Friday, January 28, 2011

the ups and downs

So, I  mentioned in my Christmas post that we made a quick trip to Utah.  I don't think I mentioned that it wasn't planned, but I begged, and wonderful J made it work.  While I was thinking on going, I kept thinking of Lori...she's had a rough few years getting hit with the economy problems and stuff...and so I wondered if that was why.  I had her and Matt for Christmas this year, and I wondered if that was why...But, I just felt the need to spend time with her a bit more than the others.  We did have a wonderful time...even though it was a super short visit.  And I was very grateful. 
Little did I know, within hours after we rolled out of town, Lori noticed a lump in her breast.  She is only 30, and has had cysts or lumps develop on her body...can't remember what they are called.....that aren't anything.  So, there was a little worry, but nothing major.  We had a similar scare with Jessie a few years ago that ended up fine. 
Well, Lori has cancer.  Breast Cancer.  I think it is non invasive....It is amazing the things you learn, when it is you or your sister or mother with the dreaded disease.  The words all of a sudden have so much more meaning.  She has had 2 practically polar opposite opinions.  She wants to be healed.  She doesn't want to have to be cut into.  She probably wants to wake up from this bad dream and just go on with her already difficult life...where she was already putting her trust in God that things would work out for her beautiful little family...even if that meant not exactly the way she imagined or hoped.
Now, she has to make the hard decisions....surgery...and how invasive do you go.  take out the lump, take out the breast.  take out both...just to be safe.  take out all the girl parts to be even safer.....  where do you go.  where do you draw the line?  or...eat better, take nutritional supplements and pray for a healing?  There are soo many options.  But the wrong one could be detrimental. 
She has 5 kids.  The baby isn't even one yet.  Her big kids aren't even teenagers yet! 
I think for the most part this type of cancer doesn't kill. 
But, it can. complications can kill.   It can spread.  Is she more suseptible?  What caused it?  Why didn't it happen to me?  I'm the older sister.  She's the little sister. The one we protect. 
But, here I am. about a 1000 miles away. 
Not able to do much to help. 
Except pray. 
and send good thoughts.
wow.  life can throw you for a curve sometimes.
It does seem like she is being brave, and responsible and mature, and faithful through the whole ordeal. 
I do have confidence that she will handle this step in life very well....
and then be able to move on to bigger and better things.

No comments: