Friday, September 11, 2009

Last day

I might have mentioned earlier, but Jeremy's parents came to visit at the end of August. It has been a year since they were here last, and their last trip was not a great experience. It was in Aberdeen where Gayle found out she had kidney cancer, after a very painful day before. We had to rush her back home for surgery. Needless to say, they were excited to come, but also having flashbacks of the last horrible trip. We all felt the need to make up for lost time and have a great visit! I am not sure why I did this backwards, but here is the last day. Sunday.....
We went to church, where J and his dad performed a hymn. It was beautiful and so great to see them together sharing their musical abilities. I wish they had more opportunity to do that! but a 10 hour commute makes that kindof hard!
After church we all loaded into the motorhome and headed up to Quinault. We packed a lunch, lots of warm clothes, towels, suits....anything that we might need...
It was beautiful at Quinault. We found the beach and then kids headed straight to the water. Gramma said she was going to change into her capris so she could put her feet in. The adults grabbed chairs and headed down. Gramma comes out with her cute cover up on and said she must have forgotten her capris...and extra clothes and didn't want to get her one set wet, so she just put on her swim suit..yea right, Gramma! We all know how much she loves the water. It was just a few seconds and she was in!
and, then all the way in. In fact I think she was the first one who was brave enough to dunk in!

She found a rock and perched on there the remainder of the time we were there, and told us how crazy we were to not get in. This is as far as J got, and Grandpa ( sorry no photo) and I made it to here.....
ya, we're wimps. What can I say. It was warm though....ha!
So then we went to Kalaloch, parked on the bluff and ate lunch. Well, the adults ate lunch. The kids ran down and played on the beach.





Grandpa and Jeremy went down and Grandpa collected beach goodies for Gramma Jello who couldn't make it down the bluff.

Grandpa being silly..... The kids finally came up and ate...
And then we went over to Ruby Beach. There is quite a hike down to the beach.
We were worried about Gramma making it down, but Kaleb and Jeremy helped her down the trail and over to a good place to sit and relax.


At the beach is a creek going into the ocean. As soon as we got there the younger kids were in the water! again!


Gramma refrained this time. She was layered about 5 deep! I don't think a swimsuit was an option with the great beach weather we usually have.
Right away we noticed all these rock towers all overy any flat enough surface.
There were literally hundreds of them. I am not sure what they represent, but I thought it was some meditation, peace thing. And then I saw this:
which confirmed my thoughts.....but, then I saw this other rock with charcoal writing...these rocks are dumb....well, maybe not peace and karma stuff....I don't know.
and then I saw this....which totally threw me. I really don't know if the same people did it all, or if others came and added to the mix. There were some guys down there throwing rocks and trying to knock down as many as possible. It was funny to see the people who wanted to knock them down, and then the people who was careful around them and tried not to disturb. I really liked them....can't imagine how long it took to make them all. It was an interesting sight.
btw...Ruby Beach is about a half hour south of Forks....

We all love rock jumping and trying to beat the tide.....
There are a lot of rock formations here. It is amazing.
Did I mention our beautiful weather?Gramma with her burka...er scarf... all bundled up. Playing in the rocks. and on the rocks....the fog lifted while we were there....


all of a sudden the island appeared.... love this photo. J loves his momma.
being in the right place at the right time...this was amazing. There were alot of people at the beach watching the sunset. I wanted to call them over to show them what they were missing, but I didn't......









sorry there are soo many scenery shots. I love it there. I love the rustic, rugged beauty. I was glad we were able to show Gramma and Grandpa some of our favorite spots. I love living out here. We got home late. It was a wonderful day, a great way to end the visit. We did cram alot into a short amount of time! more to come......


3 comments:

Lacy King said...

That was an awesome post and I am so glad this visit was better than the last! The shots were great! Gayle is a water bug!

batch5 said...

Thanks for sharing! I love those places. It was nice to see them again and you took great pictures.

Gramma Jello said...

I don't know how we could have had a better trip. It was wonderful, hard to put into words for us. And, Verlee, maybe you should go into business doing people's travelogue blogs. You did a terrific job! We are so grateful for you.