Saturday, November 7, 2009

flu season

Well it finally found us these last two weeks.
First with Kaleb.
After sleeping for 2 days solid, he felt ready to tackle the world again, just to stay home a day or so later. He called before school started and said he was feeling horrible, so I went to get him. As soon as we got home he asked if he could put his jammies back on. He got on the couch and slept for another day. While Kaleb was back at school, Elijah was on the couch sleeping. It was crazy. I have never seen my kids sleep through an illness like this. But, it seemed to help. When they were feeling better, I came down with it.
I hate this worry about spreading the flu. I was at the halloween party and my throat felt dry. I figured I might be coming down with what the boys had, but it came so sudden and dry, slightly irritated throat has been common this fall. I stayed, cause I wanted my family to help clean up. The next morning was about the same. Not really feeling bad, but the throat didn't feel better either. Do I stay home from church? J was on duty that night, and hardly got sleep and he was going to church. Should I make him take my class, without time to study and hardly any sleep. I stayed home. The rest of the family went. I felt guilty and wimpy, but didn't want to spread germs. I ended up sleeping most of the day. It was a good choice, but I still felt guilty.
This was a busy construction week, where I was needed most every day for at least a few hours. Working on the job I am not around people much, and I wasn't soo sick that I couldn't do anything. But my muscles hurt, my brain was foggy (ok, more than normal). and I would be wiped out easily. I was sick most of the week. I wondered if it was because I worked.
Monday, I get a call from J. He says he is picking Kas up from school. She got into a fight. I knew he was kidding, but he keeps explaining. tells me who the other girl is ( one of her 'first' friends from Kindergarten, but not a bestie now). He says there is hair chunks out, scratch marks, bite marks...it was bad. I know he has to be kidding, but he keeps on about it. And, actually makes me wonder. I start heading over to the school. but he insists he's got it under control. She was just sick. Fever. achy. Just feeling bad.
So, Kas and I were sick together. Lots of laying around and reading. (when I wasn't working, and she having a 'bed' in the back seat of the car. ) I felt horrible, but such is life of the self employeed concrete crew...no sick days when there is good weather.
Kas finally went back to school friday. She tried thursday, but still had a low grade fever....no school. When she went back, there were only 10 students in her class. Many teachers missing, all her besties were out. CRAZY!!!!!
yesterday I felt much better. Today I would have felt even better, but I stayed up until some people get up in the morning, finishing a great book....another post I am sure. So, I was dragging all day.
One of the symptoms I have heard with h1n1 that I didn't have was stomach stuff...which I seem to be getting today.
So, did we have the swine flu???not sure. probably really doesn't matter. I have seen a few lists of the difference between a cold, flu and h1n1...which is very helpful, but what if we have symptoms from all.
Fortunately, it seemed pretty mild. and we didn't have any of the other things going on. Knock on wood. I know stuff can still happen. But, I am grateful that is over and done with. I am certain we wouldn't have gotten the vaccine. Hopefully the rest of the season will be uneventful for us though!
Oh, and J hasn't been hit yet. We have all been throwing down the oj, vitamin c, and immune fizz or emergenC....and hopefully soon the new yoli drink (http://www.verlee.goyoli.com/ )...to keep us healthy. I think it helped.
I pray for all those who haven't been so fortunate. It is amazing the people who have worse reactions.
even though, we weren't hit hard, I am grateful for the peace of mind, that we are not alone...and that things work in the Lord's due time, and way.
Once again, I am so grateful for the gospel in my life!

1 comment:

amy said...

We LOVE emergen-C here.... drink it everyday. Glad you are all feeling well now! Have a great birthday:)