Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cancer Scare and catching up!

I have been a little scarce on here do to a cancer scare in our family. Jeremy's parents came to visit for Elijah's birthday. On their way here, Gayle started having complications that kept here new Seattle in hospitals for 2 days. They thought they found the problem, gave her drugs, and sent her on her way. they made it here around 8 or 9 oclock tues evening. We waited until they got here to celebrate Elijah's birthday, which was a little crazy since the next day was the first day of school. On a side note, they so generously brought us fruit and veggies from Yakima! What an awesome treat! peaches, corn on the cob, and a few other things...YUM!!! Anyways, when she should have been feeling better, things just got worse.

The next day at lunch J and I went home to see how things were going....she said she was going to take a nap and then they would come find us. Next thing we know, they are in the hospital again. After a few hours of speculation, they decide to do a C Scan....and find a lump on her kidney....even though they didn't really say, the assumption was cancer. They told her to get home asap....She was in quite a bit of pain at this time, but we all decided the drive would probably be the best way to travel....just a few hours longer after waiting for a flight and all....We gathered up their luggage, and as we were leaving we realize, I should probably go with them, since they were going to be leaving around midnight, and Randy'd already had a stressful, sleep deprived few days. Thankfully she had some wonderful nurses at our little hospital that made the drive doable.

Like I mentioned earlier, we left around midnight, and drove all night long. Randy drove, and I played nurse...she was in the back, hooked up to a constant saline drip. I know were were a sight. she was actually still in her hosptial gown with loads of hospital blankets, thanks to generous nurses. They had us totally set up for whatever we would need. We had to make a few stops to rearrange things and relieve comfort, and even made a pit stop in the ER in Pendleton. We joked about all the nice, helpful people they met on their trip! HA! They were all nice and wonderful....and inspired!

Anyways, we got into Caldwell, I can't remember what time...I think early afternoon. Made a quick stop at the dr's office and then straight to the hospital. Randy and I were almost giddy when we walked into the hospital....cause now she was in trained hands....a huge weight off our shoulders! The next day she had her kidney out. and is now home, and doing better. thankfully. Even though there were some hard, scary moments...she is doing great considering. I am so grateful for medical technology and wonderful people who become nurses...and doctors, who care enough about their patients to come in on their day off to relieve pain. We actually met a fellow 'advrider' which was amazing! I am so grateful for the tender mercies along with the trials. I am so grateful for family and for pulling together to get things done. J stayed with the kids, kept things running at home, while he finished up some jobs that needed done. and then came on his bike. We were able to stay a few more days, go for a ride w/ the adv doc, and go home when Gayle was finally resting well. Her tests are, things seem to be good. Her remaining kidney is functioning well, and the cancer doesn't seem to have spread anywhere else. Yeah!
So, now...back to real life! It just goes to NEVER know when life is going to take a turn. We can just do the best we can and count on the Lord to let things fall into place.
oh...another tender mercy.....J prepared the corn and froze it....and by the time I came home the peaches were still good. In fact I even had a day break, where I made two more peach pies...for the chief....and then was able to can 2 dozen jars. They brought me 3 cases...when I got home one and about a third of the cases were gone. I asked Kas about them and she said they were desperately trying to eat them before they went bad! Isn't that hilarious! Can you imagine 3 kids eating 3 cases of peaches before they go bad!!! I have no photos. I almost grabbed my camera...but thought our trip wasn't a photo experience. I wish I would have can't even imagine how that car was stocked!

in other normal, everyday news....Kaleb started cross country, and Elijah started football! Elijah was ordained a deacon today! yeah!!!! That has been a much anticipated event. My mom and dad and Amber came for that. I did another teaching in SS and RS today...crazy sunday. and we did some great pours. Hopefully I will post photos soon.


Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit real people sharing real stories about how Love has really impacted and changed their lives. Share you struggles or testimonies. Blessings...

Wendy said...

Thanks so much for all you did. My parents couldn't have done it without you! We love you!

Dan and Lacy King said...

I am so glad she is OK! It was a scare to get that phone call. I love Aunt Gayle so much!

Christia said...

Wow Verlee! That is really scary! I'm really glad your mother-in-law is OK! And how crazy that your boys are doing cross country and football! I remember them being pretty small1

Verlee said...

I just talked to her today and she is finally on the upswing. yeah!

Christia, you just wait. time does fly.