Sunday, June 15, 2008

Utah Trip

I have been meaning to post for the last few weeks, but had pictures I wanted to add, and didn't have them around when I was posting. They are in J's camera....But, we had quite an adventure...
J got the bike of his dreams a few weeks ago. A 650 BMW Dakar. I would insert a photo if I had one. It was a friends bike. He upgraded...and finally was willing to sell his. We got a pretty sweet feel blessed and J has been grinning for weeks. Anyway, we'd been talking about taking a trip...and the Preliminary hearing for Kristy's death was coming up in Utah. I mentioned, half joking that we could take the bike and cruise down. Fortunately, J had a few days off....and only had to take one day vacation...and we could go. 2000 miles in 4 days. We are good at spur of the moment decisions, and within days we had everything arranged and we were on the road. The most I have been on a bike is about an hour, so I was worried I would be bored to tears. I brought books on tape, which worked well, but I also realized I enjoyed just riding too. It was so fun. and nice for us to get away by ourselves.
We stopped and visited friends in Kennewick on our first day and made it to Caldwell that night. We realized the bike is longer traveling time. We had to stop a lot to rest our butts! We went to church in Caldwell, and then left for Utah sunday morning. We arrived to Carries around dinner time. Ate, visited, and stayed with Ann that night. I got a chance to talk with her a bit which was nice. One of the major reasons I wanted to go to the hearing was because Ann would have to testify, and I knew that was going to be hard for her.
We got up monday morning, J ran some errands...took B because he was fascinated with the bike, and we entertained the boys while we were getting ready for the hearing. It was scheduled for 1:30 in the afternoon.
I went to the hearing with Carrie, J was out getting stuff for his bike and would meet us there later. We arrived early so we could all sit on the front Ann had support. and we did pack that front row. It was awesome. Even though the hearing was hard, I was glad I was there. We learned some new information...some of it was hard...but it felt like the process was working. We were hoping Dave would plead guilty, but he didn't. I loved the judge. She was a tough, smart lady.
It was hard seeing Dave, because he looked so awful! gaunt. He has always been pretty muscular, and handsome, and he wasn't. Even though he is still a big guy, he looked soo little. He is EVIDENCE in a big way that the God he was noface.....wasn't supporting him. It appears that the great life he'd developed....has been totally stripped from him. He didn't seem at all interested in his kids...which is SAD.... It really broke my heart. I didn't know him well, and while he and Kristy were married, I wasn't very close to I never had the opportunity to get to know him. I guess I am grateful for that now...but feel bad I didn't make more of an effort with her. oh well. I am certain she doesn't hold it against me now.
The hearing lasted until almost 6 pm....We had the option of staying the night in Utah and making the 1000 mile trip in one day or leaving asap, and heading to Caldwell, as planned. We decided to leave that night. We didn't get out of town until after 7:30....and Caldwell is a 6 hour car drive! That is when I felt the lack of protection from the bike the most. In a car, that wouldn't have been much of a problem at all. If we became too tired, we could stop at a rest stop and take a nap. Well, I don't think we could have done that on the bike......unless we wanted to sleep in the open, or on a picnic table. I am certain I couldn't pull that off...worry too much. I wouldn't sleep on the bike...which I hear some passengers do...I don't feel quite that secure....We made it to Rupert by about 11:30, and stopped for fuel, and food at a Perkins. Breakfast at midnight...yum! I think we pulled into Caldwell around 3-3:30 am. I was soo happy to get there! We awoke around 9:00, visited Wendy, who brought Megan and Ashlyn...her new baby over for us to meet...and left around 11:00 am.

Well, we hit hard rain over the blues! I was okay...except for my feet, but J was soaked...He found out his riding outfit was NOT waterproof! We went into Pendleton and rented a room at a motel 6. We only stayed for about 2 hours...but I took a little nap, Jeremy dried all our clothes, and took a long hot shower, and then we were up and running. we wanted to get home! We decided to go through the Columbia Gorge, because we would probably hit rain the rest of the way home if we went through White Pass....and fought wind for quite awhile. I was cold and scared. I wasn't sure how J would do with all the wind, and knew a gust could cause problems...but we were fine. The last half of that day was cold, wet, and long...but we made it, and I can honestly say I would do it again! I think I am going to really enjoy our new hobby!

So....since then,
School is of friday the 13th. We did field trips, concerts, field days...where I won a beautiful quilt! lucky me! It has been crazy busy, but fun too. I think everyone was definitely ready for school to be out. We had a visit from Freeman friends, which was also fun...and now tomorrow we are headed back to Caldwell for our official visit, the Program Randy is putting on, a Simpson Family reunion...and then we will be back here for our immediate Simpson reunion! It is going to be busy and fun! I am excited....and almost crazy from getting everything together. oh well....such is life, eh.
well, this is incredibly long, and I need I will close...hopefully I will add photos later...and have more fun to share!


Wendy said...

Crazy trip! It was so good to see you guys. I guess we will see you in a couple of days.

LeaAnne said...

What an amazing trip! I am glad that you were able to be there and give support!

I am in total aw of the bike trip..I would have cried in the rain..I am such a BIG BABY! Good thing you are a brave girl & a fun wife! :)

Verlee said...

don't tell, but I did cry in the wind. I was scared! silly me! and I wanted to cry towards the end, cause I was so cold, but I still loved it!