Thursday, June 3, 2010

I did the thing

I DID THE THING I FEARED THE MOST, EXCUSE ME WHILE I CHEER, FOR NOW I STAND A STRONGER (WO)MAN, AND ALL I'VE LOST IS FEAR!

that is one of my all time favorite quotes....I found it while I was in the midst of living my greatest fear, and felt like it was a message from God. I have a mind riddled with anxiety. I fear EVERYTHING in some way or another! Many times I sell myself short. Sometimes I like to take the easy way out...(when eternal consequences aren't involved). And, lately my life is leading me to fight some of those natural tendencies...in a good way.

Last year Kaleb did the relay for life in a big way! At 14, and his first time at the event he became a 24 hour walker. I know he had no idea what he was getting himself into. We didn't even go, and support until the morning of the second day. after he was about 14 hours into his walk. He walked all night by himself. His friend who challenged him to do it went to bed sometime in the night. He had support from wonderful women from our local grocery store...But, those of you who know Kaleb, know he doesn't like to be a bother. So, he mostly fought on himself. Our family was soo impressed with his efforts, we decided to join him this year. We became a team, and with the Malteze Misfits, have each accepted the challenge to walk the full 24! MY only excuse for not doing it, will be for the safety of Kas. I am not totally sure that an 11 year old going the full 24 is such a great idea. But, anytime I mention that to her, she reminds me she's a Towery, and a TOUGH CUSTOMER! which is a nickname her dad gave her when she was about 2. Sooo. It seems she's not going to let me use her as a scapegoat!
Anyways, I am excited about it. but also extremely nervous. I am in ok shape. and lead a fairly active life. But, I also like to be on the lazy side, and don't like pain and suffering!
I really feel for this cause. Cancer has affected my family. and I know the likelihood of getting cancer is good. It is too much in my family for my immediate family to get away scott free! I want to fight this disease! I want to help eliminate the pain it cause. I want to sacrifice in memory of those who have fought the good fight, either til the end or until they beat it. I have soo much admiration for those who've done so....
So, I will be plugging away tomorrow. Fighting my own fear of laziness...wimpiness....pain....for those I love! Please say a prayer for us! :)

Another challenge I have accepted at this time is going off sugar for 6 weeks! I love sugar, and have been a constant advocate of it's beauty! But, I have also been able to eat it in moderation, for the most part, and not suffer too much from the consequences. I have had good genes...where for the most part I could eat mostly what I want and not gain weight. Well, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I have put on enough lbs...that I feel like I need to take more drastic measures. I don't diet well, and actually don't believe they are good. BUT, I am going to do a drastic one...hoping to jumpstart a slight lifestyle change. 6 weeks without sugar (namely chocolate, and chocolate chip cookies) is the hardest part. and alot of the same old food. I love food and variety. But 6 weeks is doable. So, here I go...on another fear...that I will fail. That I will have wasted time, money and effort in another attempt of no change! Here's to SUCCESS and doing something that seems near impossible for me...I know many people do it all the time! WOOOOHOOOOO!
I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Maryhelen said...

Yay! Go Towery's and go Verlee with tackling what challenges you. You can TOTALLY do 6 weeks! My advice is to stay away from everything sweet for a while ~ keep away from fruit even for the first little bit. And don't throw sugar-free substitutes in right away. You'll be fine! ;) Good luck!!